Sustainable Watering Top Tips
Most plants actually prefer rain water to tap water. Consider installing a water butt to catch rainfall from the roof of your house, shed or greenhouse.
- Think about choosing plants that can thrive without too much water such as lavender, geranium, verbena and alliums. Most plants with grey leaves or fine foliage such as rosemary.
- Let your lawn go brown over the summer, it’ll soon recover with a few Autumn rain showers and it can help reduce the weeds too.
- Allowing your lawn to grow a little longer than normal will also help it retain moisture and is better for pollinators such as bees (read more about plants for pollinators here).
- Cut off the bottom of an empty, plastic bottle and sink it in the ground next to plants. Pour water into the bottle – this ensures water reaches the roots.
- Use water retaining crystals or gel to improve soil water retention in pots.
- Choosing a watering can over a hosepipe reduces wastage.